29. April 2008

Tandem (not the bike)

I have a German Tandem Partner! In case you have no idea what that means, a Tandem Partner is someone who speaks fluently a language you want to learn. So in exchange for talking to you in that language you talk with them in your mother language. Anyways her name is Kati, and I met her through Herbert. Herbert is Helen's Tandem Partner. Usually I call him "Helen's Herbert", though never to his face. (I really hope he doesn't read this). Having a Tandem, makes me feel better about speaking English all the time and not having any real German friends. I think the ersatz comfort will really help.

Right after I got Kati's number, I was sitting in my room, writing in my journal. This sounds really pensive and deep, but really it was Earth Day and google was shut down so I had nothing else to do. In my journal, I was ruminating on Earth Day, and I thought to myself, "you know the only electronic thing I'm using right now is my cell phone. It would be really easy to just turn that off and use absolutely no electricity." So I promptly turned my cell phone off. About 10 minutes later I realized that now I had no way to tell time and that I had class sometime soon. So I caved in and turned my cell phone on. It did the little Voda-Fone Salute and then...well let me read you the journal passage:
...Speaking of the environment, I think I'm going to start line-drying my clothes, I really don't see a difference in them and normally the dryers here are ineffective.
FUCK
I just turned my phone off, and when I turned it back on, it wanted the PIN. I don't know my PIN number. I g2g.
One of the many things that I share with my mom is an almost obsessive compulsion to throw things away, everything in fact, including my PIN. My logic was, "well the phone knows my PIN why would it want it again?" I maintain that this logic is still steadfast. A word of wisdom, don't lose your PIN. Because I bought my phone through not-Vodafone, they cant just give me my PIN. I had to pay 18€ and then wait 3 days for the money to get there. They told me to give them a call to get my new PIN...With what fucking phone?! Anyways, it was a Zen exercise in not knowing the time.

Hmmm. Short Post, but enjoy none the less.


Keine Kommentare: